PDA

View Full Version : X Type - strange noise

amp322
01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm on my 3rd X-Type (1st was a "lemon", 2nd was totaled on the GSP in NJ, #3 is a charm, except for a few issues...)

I have a Sport Edition, and it is almost fully loaded. It was a demo, and I got a great deal from Madison Jaguar. It is a real head turner, and by far the best X Type I've had yet. I'm actually looking to get a second car, so I can keep this one for a long time, and not put too many miles on it.

Anyway, a few strange noises plague it, and the worst is a tea-kettle whistling sound that changes pitch with acceleration. It comes and goes, and is most prominent when the car is still warming up. It sounds like it is coming from the dash vents, but the sound appears even when the climate control is off. If I speed up, the sound goes up in pitch, speeds up, gets louder, and then disappears. If I slow down, the sound gets lower, and eventually fades. Anyone have any ideas? Ray Catena replaced the instrument cluster, thinking that might have something to do with it. Nope.

Also, there is a really high pitched (but soft) sound at high speeds, and the tech guy said it is the prop shaft, which has already been replaced once. It seems to come from the right front area.

The brakes have made a loud honking noise, since day 1, when I go in reverse. Apparently this is due to moisture build up, and it goes away after a minute of driving. The brakes have been squeaking a little lately, in general, but I had them checked, and they were supposedly fine.

If anyone has any experience with these sounds, please feel free to share. Thanks!!! - Ann Marie

Jon Lusher
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I would guess a vacuum or pressure line, similar to heater actuators or the like...

Jaguar Owner
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm on my 3rd X-Type (1st was a "lemon", 2nd was totaled on the GSP in NJ, #3 is a charm, except for a few issues...)

I have a Sport Edition, and it is almost fully loaded. It was a demo, and I got a great deal from Madison Jaguar. It is a real head turner, and by far the best X Type I've had yet. I'm actually looking to get a second car, so I can keep this one for a long time, and not put too many miles on it.

Anyway, a few strange noises plague it, and the worst is a tea-kettle whistling sound that changes pitch with acceleration. It comes and goes, and is most prominent when the car is still warming up. It sounds like it is coming from the dash vents, but the sound appears even when the climate control is off. If I speed up, the sound goes up in pitch, speeds up, gets louder, and then disappears. If I slow down, the sound gets lower, and eventually fades. Anyone have any ideas? Ray Catena replaced the instrument cluster, thinking that might have something to do with it. Nope.

Also, there is a really high pitched (but soft) sound at high speeds, and the tech guy said it is the prop shaft, which has already been replaced once. It seems to come from the right front area.

The brakes have made a loud honking noise, since day 1, when I go in reverse. Apparently this is due to moisture build up, and it goes away after a minute of driving. The brakes have been squeaking a little lately, in general, but I had them checked, and they were supposedly fine.

If anyone has any experience with these sounds, please feel free to share. Thanks!!! - Ann MarieYou do not say how old the car is. If it is still under warranty, just drop it off at the dealer and tell him to fix everything and don't worry about it. If it is out of warranty, and if I owned the car, I would immediately sell it because of the high costs that are sure to come.

Oldengineer
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Don't know about the other noises - but- my 06's rear brakes make the nasty moaning noise if I put it in reverse after it's been parked for a while on a cold rainy day. Like yours, it goes away after you drive for a minute. My dealer couldn't find anything wrong with mine either. I'm assuming that the rear pads stick a bit to the rotors when you set the handbrake in cold, wet conditions. I'm hoping a change of rear pads will cure it.

Chris X
01-29-2008, 05:31 AM
You are in need of another prop shaft my friend. Will solve your car's whining issues. Very common with the X type. They might want to install a "blanket" sound deadner over the shaft as well.

Chris X
01-29-2008, 05:34 AM
You do not say how old the car is. If it is still under warranty, just drop it off at the dealer and tell him to fix everything and don't worry about it. If it is out of warranty, and if I owned the car, I would immediately sell it because of the high costs that are sure to come.

his profile says 2006.....

Marty S
01-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Had a very loud noise from the rear brakes after moving in reverse. 05 X-type was brand new and dealer fixed it. Believe they replaced pads or a spring. It should be something they can fix.

Jaguar Owner
01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
his profile says 2006.....You're right and I looked for that too. I must be getting old! :o

Jerry S
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
You're right and I looked for that too. I must be getting old! :o

Since it's a 2006, she (Ann Marie) should have the dealer fix all of it unless the car has more than 50K miles on the clock.

Chris X
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Since it's a 2006, she (Ann Marie) should have the dealer fix all of it unless the car has more than 50K miles on the clock.

Absolutely agree. This should all be things fixed under warranty. Although some dealers will drag thier feet on replacing the prop shaft, even though they know it needs it.

Since she is a violinist, she should take her instrument in and play the whining noise for them! :D

Toohuman
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure about the prop shaft idea. I told my dealer this too and they said no, it is the rear end differential. They replaced the rear end and thus far my car has NOT made the whine. If you have already replaced the prop shaft, you may want to suggest having them replace the rear end differential.

amp322
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Since she is a violinist, she should take her instrument in and play the whining noise for them! :D

Ha Ha :p I already drove the thing around with the tech guy in the car. He's a sax player, and I was like "do you hear that high noise?", and he was like "the B?", and I said "no- the higher one, it's like a D" !!! We took it back to the service desk, and they replaced the prop shaft, lol!

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. I'm writing everything down, and will bring it back to Ray Catena. If they still can't figure it out, I'll go up to Madison (never used their service dept before, because it's a far drive, but they may have a different take on the problems).

By the way, the car has about 28,000 miles, so I'm fine with warranty. I'll post back when it is finally fixed, and let you know what was replaced, etc.

Thanks again!

Jaguar Owner
01-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Ha Ha :p I already drove the thing around with the tech guy in the car. He's a sax player, and I was like "do you hear that high noise?", and he was like "the B?", and I said "no- the higher one, it's like a D" !!! We took it back to the service desk, and they replaced the prop shaft, lol!

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. I'm writing everything down, and will bring it back to Ray Catena. If they still can't figure it out, I'll go up to Madison (never used their service dept before, because it's a far drive, but they may have a different take on the problems).

By the way, the car has about 28,000 miles, so I'm fine with warranty. I'll post back when it is finally fixed, and let you know what was replaced, etc.

Thanks again!My 2 cents: This "replace the differential"/"replace the the prop shaft" issue seems to be occurring far too often for a model that has been on the street as long as the X-Type. Jaguar should be embarrassed. :mad:

Jonathan Buchbinder
01-29-2008, 07:04 PM
My 2 cents: This "replace the differential"/"replace the the prop shaft" issue seems to be occurring far too often for a model that has been on the street as long as the X-Type. Jaguar should be embarrassed. :mad:

Jag is embarrassed. Why do you think they are withdrawing the X-type from the US market? They could have fixed the problem long ago, but never had enough volume to justify it. Cheaper to fix the complaints than re-engineer the parts. Poor customer service any way you look at it.

Jaguar Owner
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Jag is embarrassed. Why do you think they are withdrawing the X-type from the US market? They could have fixed the problem long ago, but never had enough volume to justify it. Cheaper to fix the complaints than re-engineer the parts. Poor customer service any way you look at it. Yet, long term, this policy which makes the bean counters happy only serves to reinforce the public's view about the poor reliability of Jaguars and that has VERY long term consequences. :(

Chris X
01-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm not sure about the prop shaft idea. I told my dealer this too and they said no, it is the rear end differential. They replaced the rear end and thus far my car has NOT made the whine. If you have already replaced the prop shaft, you may want to suggest having them replace the rear end differential.

you know what, you might be right - now that i think about it I have had my transfer case replaced as well (the front one) - maybe this was when the whining stopped. I tend to forget a bit because it seems like every service visit required a new prop shaft or t-case. :eek: And they never did get the seal to quit leaking.

hopefully she has a bright service advisor who will take care of the issue.